Roasted sweet potatoes, spices and coconut milk make a creamy, velvety curry sweet potato soup that's vegan. Enjoy!!
2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed, unpeeled
1 small onion
2 tablespoons canola oil
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1½ teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 cup light coconut milk
Vegan yogurt (or regular dairy yogurt if you don’t need to make the soup vegan)
Fresh Italian parsley, chopped
Whole wheat pita bread, cut into eighths
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Cut sweet potatoes and onion into ½-inch chunks. Put in a mixing bowl with 1 tablespoon canola oil, salt and pepper; mix until coated.
- Spread onto baking sheet and roast in oven, for 20-25 minutes (until vegetables are cooked through), stirring occasionally.
- In a large pot, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minutes, stirring often. Add curry, cumin, turmeric and cayenne pepper. Cook another minute, stirring often.
- Mix in roasted sweet potatoes, onions and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook other 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add half of soup to high-power blender. Carefully puree until completely smooth. Repeat with second batch.
- Return pureed soup to pot and mix in coconut milk. Cook for another 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt, sprinkle of parsley and pita wedges, if desired.
|Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get weekly access to your peace of mind! www.drmaiysha.com|
|What's Your Wellness Score? Take your free assessment and discover your wellness blueprint for stress free living today!|