Craving something with a little Latin flavor for dinner? Then you’ll definitely enjoy our flautas recipe, which features plenty of crunchy corn, onion, Habanero Cheddar cheese, cilantro, sweet potato and fresh guacamole. One of the best things about flautas is that—aside from being delicious—you can fill them with practically anything, ranging from protein to veggies. Enjoy!!
Prep time: 25 mins | Cook time: 16 mins | Total time: 41 mins
1 small or medium sweet potato
1 cup cooked black beans
1 cup "Mexi-corn" (corn mixed with red and green peppers)
¼ cup diced white, yellow, or red onion
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried or fresh cilantro
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne) or red pepper flakes, or more to taste
1-2 heaping tablespoons taco or enchilada sauce or salsa (or more to taste)
2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature (optional)
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
9 corn tortillas
6 ounces Hot Habanero Cheddar, Sharp Cheddar or Pepper Jack, grated (about 1½ cups)
All-natural olive oil spray or plain oil
Chopped fresh parsley, tomatoes and shredded lettuce for garnish
Salsa, guacamole and lowfat Greek yogurt or sour cream for dipping
- Pre-heat your oven to 425°F.
- Poke a few holes in your sweet potato, wrap it in a slightly damp paper towel, and microwave on high for about 6-8 minutes. The paper towel trick keeps the potato moist.
- While you wait, combine corn, diced or minced peppers, and diced or minced onion with your black beans, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, cilantro, cayenne, and taco sauce/salsa. If you prefer very tender veggies, feel free to saute the vegetables first in a little butter or oil to tenderize. Your cayenne and red pepper flakes will control the spice-factor; adjust those to taste. I alternate between using my favorite flavorful red enchilada sauce, spicy taco sauce, and a natural, zesty salsa like Mrs. Renfros Green Salsa, all have produced delicious results!
- Once your sweet potato is cooked, fluff the inside with a fork and add the flesh [minus the skin] to the rest of your veggies and mix thoroughly.
- Add salt, pepper, and any additional seasoning to taste. I usually add a little extra sprinkle chili powder, cumin, and garlic!
- Next, working in small batches of maybe 3-4 tortillas, wrap corn tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Follow it up with an additional 30 seconds, if needed. The goal here is to steam the tortillas so they roll into perfect flautas without breaking or cracking =) This trick works like a charm!
- Immediately spray or rub one side each tortilla with oil and add "line" of veggie filling to the center of the "dry side" of each tortilla, about 1-inch thick.
- Top it off with a layer of cheese [as much or as little as you want! if you're using cream cheese as well you can mix it into the shredded cheese before topping] and roll the tortilla.
Place on a wire baking/cooling rack and seal with a toothpick, if needed.
- Repeat these steps until you have a rack full of flautas.
- Give them one more teeny spritz of olive oil to get them extra crispy and set the rack baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. The wire rack elevates the flautas and allows them to get nice and crispy on both sides. If you don't own a wire rack, simply place the flautas on aluminum foil after spraying and turn over halfway through cooking so both sides will get a chance to crisp up.
- Bake on the middle rack, at 425°F, for 15 minutes.
- At the end, set to broil on HIGH for just under a minute to crisp the tortillas into a perfectly golden, crunchy shell.
- Pile high with any & all veggies you have on hand and serve with plain Greek yogurt, salsa, and guacamole for dipping! You can even whip up a small bowl of jalapeno ranch for dunking too! If you have any fresh lime or cilantro both will make a tasty garnish!
|Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get weekly access to your peace of mind! www.drmaiysha.com|
If You Feel Like You ....
- Are drowning in the day-to-day stress?
Call now to schedule your FREE breakthrough session (a $300 value)! 404-478-9868
|What's Your Wellness Score? Take your free assessment and discover your wellness blueprint for stress free living today!|